Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Something Different - Great Rice Cereal Treat Recipe

I don't normally share recipes here.  In fact, I rarely share recipes at all.  I hate cooking. To me it is a colossal waste of time for the most part.  All that planning, prep time, worrying over the pot and clean up and what you made is gone in an instant.  I'd rather be beading.

This recipe came out so well, and was so easy I just had to share it.  My doctor told me not to eat popcorn.  I absolutely love caramel corn.  I pretty much have been ignoring the doctor (which I do most of the time anyway).  My stomach dictates what I can and can not eat, not my doctor. Anyway, to eliminate some of the popcorn in my life I thought I would try putting the caramel coating on something else.  This was the result.  It doesn't taste like caramel corn, but it is a special treat all in it's own and since it only takes a few minutes in the microwave, I don't mind making it.


Caramel Rice Cereal Treats

1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
7-8 cups crispy rice cereal
Chocolate candy wafers (optional)

In a large microwavable bowl combine the butter, sugar and corn syrup.
Microwave on high for 3 minutes, stopping to stir it at least two times.
Microwave on high for 3 more minutes without stirring.

Take out of microwave and stir in the baking soda and vanilla.  Mixture will get light and foamy.
Fold in the cereal.   You probably will not be able to coat it all at this point.  The coating hardens quickly.
Microwave on high for 20 - 30 seconds then fold the mixture some more.  
Repeat the above step until all of your cereal is coated.  
Pat into a greased pan or lay out on a cookie sheet.  It depends on if you want cut squares or just random chunks.
If you want chocolate on your treats like I do, melt about a half cup of wafers and drizzle over the candy.
Let cool and enjoy!

Note:  The cookie sheet method will result in quite a bit of "crumbs".  They're not as pretty, but they taste just as good.

I'm off to make earrings.  You all have a good day!

Sandy



4 comments:

Sommers Breeze Antiques said...

Saw Your post on Twitter. I can't have popcorn either, so I was SOOO glad to see this!
I gave up popcorn 3 years ago..and I love popcorn. This I will try today!! The printer is chattering away. Thank you kindly!
lisa

Stef H said...

YUMMY! super YUMMY!

LindaS said...

Yummm!

Miss Val's Creations said...

This sounds so delicious and so easy! I will need to try it!!