Thursday, November 4, 2010

Let's Take A Walk Just Before the Snow

Snow is in the forecast for Western New York.  Some places have had a few flurries already.  This is the latest I can remember the first flakes flying.  Yesterday the sun was shining so I thought I'd get in one more walk into the meadow before I can't get out there anymore this year.  Come along with me...


This grove of Sumac trees has been cut back and cut back.  We tried killing them.  We tried burning them.  They just will not give up.  So - I'm going to have to let them grow.  It will make a great "jungle' for my grandsons to play in when they're old enough.


Sumac aren't all bad.  Look at the beautiful reds, oranges and yellows their leaves turn in the Fall!


My Dad planted this pear tree at least 30 years ago.  This year the only pears were on the very top where I have no hope of reaching them, even with my apple picker.  See those tiny dots way up there?   I had to leave them for the critters.



Believe it or not, this is Goldenrod.  It's so pretty and fluffy when it's gone to seed.  Oh how I wish it was a cash crop because I'd be very wealthy.  There MUST be some use for it!


What a wonderful surprise!  Autumn Raspberries still on the vine!  Well, they were on the vine before I took the picture and then gobbled them up.


Another surprise treat.  A late Spring frost killed off most of the apples.  There were two on the tree and I could only reach one.  There is absolutely nothing like a cold, crisp, wild apple.  All those fancy breeds have done is breed the taste right out of them.  They may be bigger and prettier, but they will never taste as good as my wild apples do!




This is a shot of the brush just before the woods start.  When I was a girl this was all open pasture.  Years of neglect and no animals to eat it down have turned it into this.


More Sumac!  It's everywhere.  This lot stands where I would put a barn if I were as rich as I'd like to be.  Can't you see a nice, big, red barn standing there instead of weeds?   All I can do is dream.  


Almost home again.  That's not my place.  My house is much nicer.  I just didn't get it in a picture this time.  The bus used to stop for me out there, many years ago.  In fact, I noticed the bus number on this one was 162.  My bus number was 32.  Oh, it was a long time ago!

I'm back home and ready for a long New York Winter.  I have my jigsaw puzzles ready, lots of projects for Christmas and TONS of beads so I'm as prepared as I can be.  

LET IT SNOW!!!!

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Oh my goodness..I can just taste the wild apple flavor in my mouth! I really like the sumac trees and it looks as if they like you which is probably why they are still hanging around...lol!

Deanna :D