Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Joseph Jars aka Candle Jars Are Here!





I finally got brave enough to list my candle jars on Etsy. My DH keeps shouting "Shipping nightmare!", but I know if we pack them well, they will do fine. They're not going to sell sitting here gathering dust now, are they?

We call these beautiful glass creations our "Joseph Jars" because they wear coats of many colors. Each one is a one of a kind. It is next to impossible to make two exactly alike. I just love making them because I am surprised by each one as the colors blend and it takes on it's own personality. Giving each one it's own piece of "jewelry" is the crowning touch.

Originally, I meant these to be only for candles but through trial and error we have found that they can also be used as vases as long as water doesn't saturate the outside. The inside is solid glass. A fibrous paper is applied to the outside with my secret glue (and no - it's not just Mod Podge). Then DH takes over and coats each piece with multiple layers of varnish. It's the varnish that brings out the final colors. Some shine almost transparently and others glow warmly when a tea light is lit inside.

Here's the link to the brown one shown:
Brown Candle Jar

Hope you all have a great day!

3 comments:

Stef H said...

oh sandy! are these ever gorgeous!

hugs,

Rainy Day Gardener said...

Very pretty!

Faded Charm said...

Beautiful jars! So glad you stopped by. Don't you love to come across new blogs that you like?

Much happiness to you in the New Year.

Kathleen