Sunday, August 15, 2010

Aubergine, Eggplant, Burgundy, Purple - You Name It

I stated earlier this week that the names the fashion industry come up with for colors never ceases to amaze me.  I don't know about you, but I'm not any more prone to buy a dress if it is called Winter Kale instead of just plane old pink.  I find their fancy names some what of a put off.  Just how do they expect the average Joe to find any of their colors in an Internet search?  I searched for "Winter Kale" and you know what results I got?  Kale... That pretty, leafy stuff that they grow in ornamental gardens and some brave souls eat.  No where in sight were there any fashions or accessories.  For that matter, most of the results were green, not pink.  A search for "Aubergine" brought me picture after picture of eggplants and low and behold, even some fashions and accessories.  I attribute that little success to the fact that more people know what color eggplant is.  I guess it's the country girl in me.  We tend to call a cow a cow and an ass an ass.  Rarely do we sugar coat the truth of the matter with fancy names unless you consider Bossie or Jack fancy.

That said, let's move on to prettier things.  I have been having a ball playing with Art Fire's new collection tool.  One day this week I picked a color from the forecasted 2010 Fall and Winter palate and started searching.  Since zero items resulted from "Winter Kale" I moved on to the more familiar eggplant discussed above.  I even found a few sellers who knew what aubergine is.  I am sharing my collection with you so you too can drool over these wonderful handmade gifts.  Hop on over to Art Fire and find a few for yourself.  Share them with all of us here if you would like.  Just leave a link in my comments.


No comments: