Saturday, June 20, 2009

Definitaly NOT Steampunk! - Daily Item 14




I guess it must be my age. I just don't "get" Steampunk. Oh, I've looked up the definition on Wiki and I've looked at hundreds of pictures of things called by that name online. I just don't make the connection. Just chalk it up to an old lady out of touch with the times. My parents didn't "get" the Beatles either.

For the most part, I'll stick to my pretty, delicate things. They make me feel much more feminine than wearing old watch parts put together with nuts and bolts and wearing black nail polish. I much prefer pink and frills. Occasionally, I do like to make something that is wire wrapped, but that's as close to trendy as I get I guess. No apologies.

To that end, today's item is a new design I created after looking at several quilting web sites about Yo-yos. I thought if I made them smaller they could be made into jewelry. I did search Etsy for jewelry made from them and I'm not the first. I do hope my design is original though. I didn't see anything like them. They are soft yet sturdy enough to hold up under every day wear. I added a bit of filigree and of course, a Swarovski Crystal. I can't make much without adding a bit of sparkle!

Yo-yo Earrings With Swarovski Crystals in Pink and Blue

1 comment:

Stef H said...

these are beautiful - and different. i like that they're small and the muted colors make them perfect for everyday wear. hmmmm, i'm thinking wish-list here!!!!

never heard of "steampunk" and even the name doesn't do anything for me. amazing what people come up with.

hugs,