Saturday, July 4, 2009

To Market, To Market, To Buy A....



4th of July or not, the craft market is open every Saturday from May to Christmas, so I'm off to sit and stare at the walls. The only way we will see anyone today is if it rains. It has rained all week. Heck, it has rained all Spring almost. BUT, today they are predicting a nice sunny day for the 4th. Figures. I know it's what most of the people wanted, but I need customers. Paying customers! I have to pay the rent even if I don't make any money. That's how it works, you see. Boo hiss....

Setting up a permanent spot beats the heck out of craft fairs though! I used to do craft fairs. Oh how I hated them, especially when I had to go alone. Pack everything into the car (and I always forgot something important) Drive to where ever the show was and unpack. Set up the tent, the tables, the merchandise, etc. Sit there all day in the heat, or the cold, or the rain, or the wind strong enought to carry the tent away. (must have been the tent stakes I forgot that day) Chase after the tent and the merchandise that is blowing away. Put up with the "flea market mentality" of many of the shoppers. "Why is this so expensive? It's just cheap beads." Pack it all back into the car, drive home and unpack it all. Oh my..... Just typing that makes me glad I'm headed for my nice dry building that is all ready and waiting for me!

I'd better get moving.

3 comments:

Stef H said...

of the reasons i stopped doing craft shows too. not to mention that some places just don't advertise and then the sales are awful. i remember 1 show i did and all i made was $4 and it cost me $30 for the spot! yet another one i did i made over $200. go figure. but the stress is NOT worth it.

i will say a prayer that you have spectacular sales.

hugs,

Linda . J said...

Best wishes for your sales and I hope you make many of then as I know you will as your creations are beautiful and too hard to resist.
Hugs Linda

The Red Witch said...

"Why is this so expensive? It's just cheap beads."

I totally hear you. It's the same thing in Bulgaria, except that the handmade market niche here is a lot narrower than the one in the US. People aren't able to see the value of things that are custom designed, and made by hand. I used to get really pissed off at such people, but now I just ignore such statements, and so should you;). The good news is, out of every 10 or 20 people who'll say that to you, there is 1 or 2 who will appreciate your work for what it is-gorgeous. And we, artisans, are doing what we're doing because of these 1 or 2 people out of 10 or 20...
Best wishes for your sales.
Greetings from Sofia, Bulgaria